Commentaries for Hebrews:
- David L. Allen, Hebrews, The New American Commentary (Nashville, TN: B & H Publishing Group, 2010).
- Herbert W. Bateman VI, Four Views on the Warning Passages in Hebrews, 2007.
- Raymond Brown, The Message of Hebrews: Christ above All, The Bible Speaks Today, (Leicester, England; Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1988).
- Paul Ellingworth and Eugene Albert Nida, A Handbook on the Letter to the Hebrews, UBS handbook series; Helps for translators (New York: United Bible Societies, 1994).
- Louis H. Evans, Jr and Lloyd J. Ogilvie, vol. 33, The Preacher’s Commentary Series, Volume 33 : Hebrews, Formerly The Communicator’s Commentary, The Preacher’s Commentary series, 247 (Nashville, Tennessee: Thomas Nelson Inc, 1985).
- Philip H. Hacking, Opening up Hebrews, Opening Up Commentary, (Leominster: Day One Publications, 2006).
- Jack W. Hayford and Joseph Snider, Beyond the Veil: Unveiling Christ’s Fullness: A Study of Hebrews, Spirit-Filled Life Bible Discovery Guides, (Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson, 1994).
- Luke Timothy Johnson, Hebrews: A Commentary, eds. C. Clifton Black, M. Eugene Boring, and John T. Carroll, The New Testament Library, 1st ed., (Louisville, KY: Westminster John Knox Press, 2012).
- W. Farrar, The Epistle of Paul the Apostle to the Hebrews, With Notes and Introduction, Cambridge Greek Testament for Schools and Colleges (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1893).
- Koester, Craig R. Hebrews: A New Translation with Introduction and Commentary. Vol. 36. Anchor Yale Bible. New Haven; London: Yale University Press, 2008.
- Brooke Foss Westcott, ed., The Epistle to the Hebrews the Greek Text with Notes and Essays, 3d ed., Classic Commentaries on the Greek New Testament (London: Macmillan, 1903).
- John Piper, Sermons from John Piper (1990–1999), (Minneapolis, MN: Desiring God, 2007).
Hebrews Commentaries Suggested by Ligonier Ministries
- William L. Lane — Hebrews 1-8; Hebrews 9-13 (Word Biblical Commentary, 1991).
- Philip Edgcumbe Hughes — A Commentary on the Epistle to the Hebrews (1977).
- R. T. France — “Hebrews” in The Expositors Bible Commentary, Revised Edition (2006).
- Paul Ellingworth — The Epistle to the Hebrews (New International Greek Testament Commentary, 1993).
- F. F. Bruce — The Epistle to the Hebrews, Revised Edition (New International Commentary on the New Testament, 1990).
There are a wealth of helpful commentaries on the Book of Hebrews. Serious students should not neglect the classic 7 volume work by John Owen (Banner of Truth) or the classic by John Brown. Those looking for an introductory level commentary should take a look at the works by Raymond Brown, Donald Guthrie and/or Hywel Jones. Preachers will find the works by George Guthrie, Donald Hagner, Peter T. O’Brien, Richard Phillips, and R. Kent Hughes (Vol. 1, Vol. 2) worth consulting. Seminary students, and those doing in-depth study will want to look at the work by Ben Witherington.
Although not exactly a commentary, the work by Geerhardus Vos is also very helpful.
- A Commentary, eds. C. Clifton Black, M. Eugene Boring, and John T. Carroll, The New Testament Library, 1st ed., (Louisville, KY: Westminster John Knox Press, 2012).
- A. Carson, R. T. France, J. A. Motyer, and G. J. Wenham, Eds., New Bible Commentary: 21st Century Edition, 4th ed., (Leicester, England; Downers Grove, IL: Inter-Varsity Press, 1994).
- Matthew Henry, Matthew Henry’s Commentary on the Whole Bible : Complete and Unabridged in One Volume, Heb 13:18 (Peabody: Hendrickson, 1996, c1991).
- Zane C. Hodges, The Bible Knowledge Commentary: An Exposition of the Scriptures, 1985.
- Gerhard Kittel, Gerhard Friedrich, and Geoffrey William Bromiley, Theological Dictionary of the New Testament, 1985.
- Earl D. Radmacher, Ronald Barclay Allen, and H. Wayne House, Nelson’s New Illustrated Bible Commentary (Nashville: T. Nelson Publishers, 1999).
- Larry Richards and Lawrence O. Richards, The Teacher’s Commentary (Wheaton, Ill.: Victor Books, 1987).
- Lawrence O. Richards, The Bible Reader’s Companion, electronic ed., (Wheaton: Victor Books, 1991), 857.
- Marvin Richardson Vincent, Word Studies in the New Testament, (New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1887).
- Warren W. Wiersbe, The Bible Exposition Commentary, vol. 2 (Wheaton, IL: Victor Books, 1996).